Friday, April 12, 2013

Insurance Companies Squeezing your Food Budget



Check out my blogs at punchmeout.ca..

Insurance rates keep rising, and my food budget keeps shrinking. Soon there will be nothing left. Every year I go to the mailbox and there's another notice from the Insurance Company that my house insurance has gone up another $10. This is not fair. Five years ago my house insurance was $90 a month, and now I am paying $135 a month, and I haven't filed a claim, yet.
When I shopped around the quotes I got were not much better, DLK Insuance was $145, WC Burgess was worse with $157. This is outrageous. When will it stop? My earnings haven't increased, and I am paying out more and more for my insurance.

I expect it to go up another $10 this year, and the year after that. If it keeps going up without any interference from the government, in another 5 years I will be forking out $185 a month for house insurance on a 1500 square foot house, on a corner lot. I don't have a car, and I haven't filed any claims on my house, since I bought it.

What am I to do? I live in a small city called Brockville with about 50 000 people in total. Its growing but the jobs are a mixture of industrial and retail. The best you can expect is miniumum wage, and part-time hours. I moved here from Ottawa, Ontario to take a job at a local call center now call Transcom, since I am a Anglophone, and couldn't work in french (Times have changed in Ottawa. There are very few jobs for Anglophones.). I worked there about 2 years, before I had to quit to stress.

At that time, I'd worked at call centers for about 10 years, and I reached my breaking point. Its been down hill from that point. I've managed by taking whatever jobs I could get, and working for myself doing web site maintenance and design. (I have a 3 year diploma from St. Lawrence College in Business Administration Information Systems. It is really just an expensive piece of paper on the wall. I only really learned something after graduation, as Technology changed, and I started doing odd jobs for myself.).

I worked for a while as an inserter at the Recorder and Times, until they shut down their operations, and then ended up as cleaner. Since February 2011, I've been working at full time for a company Milestone Industrial Services for about 2 years now.

At the end of the month I had about $100 a month for food. Since the insurance company started grabbing more and more cash from my pocket, I am really at around $60 a month, and it keeps shrinking.

Part-time work and finding additional work for myself are my only options, aside from moving away from Brockville. Its only going to get worse, according to what their doing to grow the city. The city is trying to attract people 50 and up to grow the population. What a joke! More old people to fill the retirement homes.

In 2003 the average Ontario Insurance premium was $1200, by 2011 that figure had $1500, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada. Good news though. One of the demands New Democratic leader Andrea Horwath made a rollback of 15% in insurance premiums, one of her demands in return to get this years budget passed (See, Ontario Liberals and NDP team up against auto insurance industry).

According to an article on http://financialplan.about.com/od/homeownersinsurance/a/Homeowners.htm . There are some things you can do to decrease your insurance. The main option is to consider increasing your deductible. Your deductible decreases the risk that the insurance company takes on, and lowers your monthly payment. This offers a brief reprieve, until your rates go up again. I've gone from $1000 to 2000 and I am right back where I started. Its like the dog chasing his tail, and who gets stuck in the end. You are. Something happens, and you must pay the deductible. The only thing working for you is the fact that you may get a discount off your deducible, the longer you stay with your insurance company.

Hopefully, there will be some relief in the future. Something has to happen, another minimum wage increase is not the answer. Employers aren't able to pay more to there employees, and every time there is a wage increase, the employers must compensate, by increasing prices for the services and products they provide. Its a vicious circle.

The worst part of it all is the children. The insurance companies are stealing food from your children's mouths. The insurance company increases there rates, and you can't feed your children any more. Government must stop allowing insurance companies from increasing there rates, or people will be forced to try and work three jobs to keep up, sell their homes, and visit the food banks just to survive.

Check out my blogs at punchmeout.ca..

1 comment:

  1. I agree There will be more homeless people and people on welfare doing drugs with only old people pretty soon in this little city !! It is pathetic !!!!!!!! There are NO real good paying jobs here !

    ReplyDelete