Monday, May 13, 2013

Baking Easier Then You Think



Check out my blogs at punchmeout.ca.. Who has the time to bake? Everyone. Its easier then you'd think, and will save you money. After you bake your first loaf of bread or turn out that first patch of muffins, you will think twice before buying anything from the grocery store.

Recently I made fajitas, and thought twice when I was at the grocery store. It was a good thing too. Homemade fajitas are ten times better than the store bought ones, and take just 20 minutes to prepare, and about 20 minutes to make. As long as you roll the dough as thinly as possible, you'll be okay. If you have a pasta maker, get it out. Its perfect for making fajitas. Visit All Recipes for the recipe.



Preparation time is usually about 20 to 60 minutes depending on what your making. Allot of time is spent waiting for the dough to rise, or rest. The worst part about baking is the cleanup.

The information on how to bake your favorite bakery goods, like muffins, breads, tea biscuits is at your finger tips. Start with the food network site Food Network, and then search around the internet. You will be surprised what you can find. After you try a recipe, print it out and save it in a binder. Make up two binders, one for baked goods, and one for savory dishes.

When you make the same recipe several times, you will intuitively know how to put something together. Its that easy. Every month I buy one twenty pound back of all purpose floor, and use it to make bread, muffins, scones, tea biscuits, pancakes, or as an alternative to corn starch for some meals.

My favourite bread to make is egg and whole wheat bread. Since I've done it many times, I don't have to look at the recipe. I start with the yeast. While its rising, I start putting together the dough. Bread is pretty straight forward, and if you need your dough well, your bread will always turn out.

If you have never made bread, I recommend you visit Food Network. Another site I recommend is All Recipes. Start with a straight forward white bread recipe like this one, All Recipes . Read the recipe carefully, and then start putting the ingredients together. It is not always straight forward, and you may need to use your best judgement. A rule of thumb is to separate the dry from the wet and mix it together. One of the more challenging recipes is cinnamon rolls.

Take the time to learn how to bake. It is easier then you'd think, and your children won't leave home. A tip to the parents out there, get your kids involved when you bake and cook.

My mother always baked and cooked, and I took away some of what she did into my adulthood, and it has served me well. The cooking shows have inspired me to cook better meals. Get inspired and get cooking. You can do it to. Always remember, its easier than you'd think, and you will be eating much healthier.

Websites Referenced in this blog;

i. Food Network
ii. All Recipes
iii. Check out my blogs at punchmeout.ca..

No comments:

Post a Comment